Deadmau5 Music Production Masterclass REVIEW
Deadmou5 Masterclass Review
6 hours of instructions, 23 video lessons, and a downloadable course workbook.
Deadmou5 Masterclass Overview
Welcome to the deadmau5 studio. Meet Joel, the man behind the mau5head, and learn what he’s got planned for your class in electronic music production.
2. The deadmau5 Process: Theory
It’s all about experimentation. Learn Joel’s unique approach to the music creation process and how to get the most out of your time in the studio.
3. The deadmau5 Process: Practice
Get in the studio and watch how deadmau5 music takes shape in real time: from an empty project to beginnings of a track.
4. Building Your Home Studio
Ready to start building out your home studio and making tracks of your own? Here’s Joel’s advice for what gear you need and what you don’t.
5. Developing Melodic Structures
Whether you’ve had musical training or not, you can use these deadmau5 techniques to start drawing melodies into your DAW and creating loops that resolve.
6. Turning Melodies Into Arrangements
Here’s how deadmau5 takes basic chord structures and spreads them out across different instruments to make full arrangements including bass parts and leads.
7. Introduction To Synthesized Sounds
Once you’ve got a chord structure and an arrangement, it’s time to build the unique instrumental sounds that give your track its character. It all starts with learning the basics of synthesis.
8. Experimenting With Modular Synths
Don’t be intimidated by the wall of knobs and flashing lights. For deadmau5, modular synths are all about messing around and finding unexpected sounds. Watch how he builds and tweaks his patches from scratch.
9. Digital Vs. Analog Synths
Analog synths are a big part of the deadmau5 sound and a great way to add creative elements to your productions. Hear the difference for yourself when Joel plays some of the same patches on digital and analog equipment.
10. Shaping Sounds With Effects And Processing
Learn how deadmau5 puts life back into tired presets, builds big stereo images and fattens up his basses using plug-ins and effects processors.
11. Beats: Part 1
The kick drum is the heartbeat of an electronic music track. Learn how Joel layers his kick drum samples to lay the groundwork for big, danceable grooves.
12. Beats: Part 2
Dive deeper into deadmau5’s rhythmic techniques, with lessons on snare sounds and a closer look at the drums tracks in Snowcone.
13. Structuring Songs
You’ve developed your chord structure, arranged it with exciting synth sounds and added drums — now deadmau5 shows you how to combine all those elements into an exciting song
Learn how deadmau5 works when he’s remixing other artists, and what he likes to hear when other artists remix him.
Good producers need to know how to write original music and how to mix it to sound great. Here are some important techniques Joel uses to shape his tracks in the mix.
Unlike a lot of other artists, deadmau5 masters all of his music himself. Learn the basics of his approach to gain structure, EQing and limiting.
17. Mastering Case Study: Snowcone
Go plugin by plugin through Snowcone’s master chain and hear how each piece is affecting and honing the track’s sound.
18. Starting Your Producing Career
Joel puts on his label-manager’s-hat to talk about what he looks for when he’s signing up and coming EDM artists, and offer advice about how develop your brand and promote it the right way.
19. Understanding the Music Business
Major labels can be major headaches, or worse. Here’s some of what’s Joel’s learned about navigating the logistics of a recording career.
20. On Stage: The Music
It takes effort and planning to play a set that’s creative and keeps your audience engaged. Here’s how to take your music from the studio to the stage.
21. On Stage: The Technical Side
Gigging and touring as an EDM artist means learning and managing lots of gear. These are Joel’s techniques for keeping things running smoothly on the road.
22. On Stage: The Show
Performance is about more than just making great music. For deadmau5, your live show’s got to give audiences an experience they’ll never forget.
- Alicia Keys – Songwriting And Producing
- Timbaland – Producing and Beatmaking
- St. Vincent | Creativity and Songwriting
- Herbie-Hancock | Jazz
- Armin van Buuren | Dance Music
- Carlos Santana | Art and Soul of Guitar
- Hans Zimmer | Film Scoring
- Danny Elfman | Music For Film
- Elaine Welteroth | Designing Your Career
- Malcolm Gladwell | Writing
- Robin Arzón | Mental Strength
- Corey Damen Jenkins | Interior Design
- Itzhak Perlman | Violin
- Christina Aguilera | Singing
- deadmau5 | Electronic Music Production
- Reba McEntire | Country Music
- Questlove | Music Curation and DJing
- Sheila E. | Drumming and Percussion
- Tom Morello | Electric Guitar
- Usher | The Art of Performance
- Wayne Gretzky | Athlete’s Mindset
- N. K. Jemisin | Fantasy and Science Fiction Writing
- Futura Teaches Spray-Painting and Abstract Art
- Gabriela Camara| Mexican Cooking
- Mashama Bailey | Southern Cooking
- Gordon Ramsay | Cooking 1 & 2